– Interpretation of antiglobulin test
– Types of antiglobulin test
– Uses of antiglobulin test
– Antiglobulin test(AGT), also called anti-human globulin test (AHG) or the Coombs test is relative to the discoverer coombs
– Antiglobulin test is clinical blood test used in immunohematology to detecting antibodies.
Antiglobulin test is very important test for detecting clinically significant unexpected antibodies that have coated cells either in vivo or in vitro.
The circulating antibodies that are directed against the red blood cell antigens, can be due to a variety of reasons, including incompatibility in mother-baby blood types, blood transfusions, and in a pregnant or recently-delivered woman.
Types of Antiglobulin test
DAT):)- Direct antiglobulin test
It used to detect antibodies that destroy red blood cell i.e IgG,C3.
:- Direct Antiglobulin test is used to diagnosis
Hemolytic transfusion reaction.
Hemolytic disease of the fetus and newborn (HDFN)
Autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA)
Drug-induced immune hemolysis i.e. penicillin
How can we diagnose?
By taking a 6 mL sample of blood in lavender or pink tube and then washed “removing the serum” and then put it in the centrifuged with antihuman globulin “also known as Coombs reagent”. If immunoglobulin or complete factors have been fixed on to the red blood cell surface in-vivo, the antihuman globulin will agglutinate the red blood cells and the direct antiglobulin test will be positive.
– Indirect antiglobulin test:
is used to determine the presence of antibodies that are circulating in the bloodstream specifically red blood cell antigen in patient serum. i.e. Rh
– Indirect antiglobulin test is used to diagnosis:
newborns . – Hemolytic disease of the fetus and newborn (HDFN) ‘can cause anemia and jaundice in the’.
– also is used for Transfusion to detect the antibodies
How can we diagnose?
The indirect antiglobulin test “antibody screen” is performed by incubating patient serum with reagent screening red blood cells for approximately 20 minutes and then observing for agglutination. If the antibody screen is positive, additional testing is required to determine the specificity of the antibodies.